Many people dream of becoming a model because models are rich and have lucrative life. They travel around the world to the most exotic locations displaying the latest fashion.
How do you prepare to become a successful model? You have to start doing what successful models have done, including:
- Stay healthy. Eat a balanced diet, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and proteins. Try to stay away from sugars, unhealthy fats, empty carbohydrates, hard liquors, and nicotine.
- Get adequate sleep every night and drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and smooth.
- Try to stay away from direct sunlight, especially during mid-day when the sun is harsh. You have to make your facial and body skin smooth, and keep a healthy and voluminous hair.
- You have to stay fit. Try aerobic exercise for at least one hour per day.
- Have a positive attitude and show confidence with a bright smile. What you wear and how you carry yourself are important to your success.
- Keep a good posture and learn various poses and facial expression. Pay attention and look for inspiration everywhere, including fashion and modeling shows, catalogues, magazines, Internet, and television. Practice every day in front of mirror exhibiting while improving different types of poses.
- Learn to use the right makeup and wear minimum makeup.
- Get a professional photographer to create a model composite for you and email your composite to as many agencies as you’d like to increase your chances of getting a response.
- Make sure your headshot meets industry standards and clearly stands out from others. Your headshot should be natural, focused and on a clear background.
- Build your portfolio. Your portfolio is collection of pictures that feature you in various poses. A starter model should have a head shot, half-frame shot, whole-body shot, and a few creative shots in his or her portfolio.
- Build your model resume to show your qualifications, abilities, and experiences as a model. It should also include your educational and special training you have attended. Your resume should provide agencies the comprehensive view of why they should hire you.
- Contact modeling agencies. Some agencies only work with runway models, while others may hire commercial print or other types of models. Most agencies require models to submit composite cards and contact information.
You should be aware that companies use models to promote certain products in stores, trade shows, and for special events. There are fewer restrictions on beauty and body type, but more emphasis on personality. These companies want their customers to interact directly with models who are generally attractive, warm, confident, and have good personalities.
A good starting step is to educate yourself about the modeling industry. Read books, articles, and blogs about modeling to better understand how the industry works. At the same time, try to improve your posture and posing.
Try to work with a reputable agency that’s helpful and after your best interest.
During go-sees, it is important to wear minimal make-up, no jewelry, and properly fitting clothes. You are expected to submit your model resume and show your portfolio. Every go-see is a chance to land on a modeling job.
If you ever get rejected, don’t take it seriously. In most cases, designers and producers set rigid standard relevant to the type of project they are working on. If you have a passion for modeling, you can become a successful model. Never give up pursuing your dream.
By Robert Stevens – 2019 – Update 2020
Copyright © 2019-2020 Allied Publishing
For additional articles written by Robert Stevens, see alliedpublishing.com/model-photography. Robert Stevens is the author of How to Start a Successful Model Portfolio Business published in 2019.