It is not necessary to diet in order to lose weight, but eating natural, healthy meal is needed to get trim and fit. About two-third of all dieters gain their lost weight back within a year or less.
Many people develop flabby appearance of skin, which is often caused by losing weight too quickly. Quick weight loss causes our bodies to burn more muscle than fat. Lack of adequate muscle causes skin to look droopy.
As we age, skin has a tendency to lose its elasticity, making it harder to stay toned while losing weight. If you’re planning to lose weight, follow the steps to lose weight permanently without developing flabby skin.
1. Try not to lose more than 2-3 pounds a week. Fat takes more volume than muscle. If you starve yourself and go on a crash diet, your body burns more muscle than fat. Your metabolism also slow down makes it harder for your body to naturally shed excess weight.
2. Reduce your sugar intake to maximum 15 grams per day. Sugar is hidden in most foods people eat. Sugar is being added to breads, dairy products, fruit juice, etc. Read the labels and try sugarless food products. Try to stop or at least minimize eating all sweets and sodas.
3. Whenever you crave for sugar, try dark chocolate and sweet fruits, such as figs raisins, bananas, dates, etc. Dark chocolates contain antioxidants, which is beneficial to our health, delaying the signs of aging, and aiding weight loss.
4. Drink about 8 glasses of water throughout the day to keep your body hydrated and help your weight loss without developing flabby skin. Water helps you feel full during the day. It helps your body metabolize fat and reduces bloating. It helps to flush harmful toxins out of your body.
5. Drink one or two unsweetened green tea per day. Green tea can boost your metabolism by 4 percent over 24-hour period.
6. Try to replace unhealthy snacks with healthy ones. Avoid soda, pasta, and junk food. Instead, go for whole grains, such as whole wheat, brown rice, oats, and barley. Whole grains are in many food products and they help fill you up longer. For example, eat whole wheat bread instead of white bread.
Good carbohydrates have little to no sugar, and do not create blood sugar spikes as white versions do. You can consume 80-120 grams of healthy carbohydrates a day to help your body lose fat.
7. In order to increase your metabolism and to burn fat, eat several small meals during the day rather than three large meals. Eating small meals several times a day helps keep blood sugar levels from fluctuating.
8. Eat healthy fresh foods, especially fruits, vegetables, salmons, lean meats, turkey, and chicken. Make sure they’re organic and free of any hormones.
9. Eat red fruits like pomegranate and berries. They are antioxidants, increase collagen production and prevent flabby skin. You can start your breakfast with fruits to get all the benefits.
10. Add healthy salad and soup to your lunch and dinner to fill up on fewer calories and more nutrition. Try soup at the beginning of your meal to curb your appetite. Avoid creamy soups that are high in fat and calories.
11. If you eat pizza, choose vegetable toppings instead of meat. Use reduced-fat cheese and a thin bread crust.
12. Eat salmon or lean meat only 2-3 times a week. Eat more fresh vegetables to lose weight quickly without developing droopy skin.
13. When you feel hungry during the day, eat nuts, whole wheat crackers, and fruits for snack to force your metabolism to stay activated and burn calories.
14. Eat in moderation and chew your food completely to help your digestion. Leave the table feeling satisfied, not stuffed. Don’t deprive yourself of the foods you love, but try to control your caloric intake. Your goal should be to burn more calories than you take in.
15. Eat at home much more often than eating out for at least six days a week. When you eat at home you eat less and have more control over what you eat. You can easily fix a fresh salad, fresh vegetables, and grill a salmon or bake a chicken. It is best to cut down on fried foods and fried vegetables.
16. Time yourself while eating. It usually takes about 20 minutes before your brain gets the signal that your stomach is full. Try to eat slowly and chew your food completely. It should take you at least 20-30 minutes to eat your lunch or dinner.
17. Your metabolism slows down during the night. Eat your dinner 2-3 hours before you go to bed.
18. Use smaller plate, bowls, cups, and spoons. You can get the same pleasure with smaller plate than a large plate with the same amount of food on it. It forces you to eat slowly and in moderation feeling satisfied than stuffed.
19. Limit your alcohol intake. Alcohol has more calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein. If you have to drink alcohol, try red wines once in a while, but not every day.
20. Include aerobic and weight training exercise into your lifestyle for at least three days per week. Aerobic exercise increases metabolism and burns fat while weight training tone and builds muscle mass. Since muscles burn more calories than fat, adding weight training exercise to build muscles will help you lose weight faster and prevent flabby skin after you start to lose weight. Make sure to consult your doctor before starting any fitness program.
21. Increase your activity level. If you’re going to any store, park as far as you can from the store entrance. Start walking for 30 minutes every day. Clean your house once a week. Use stairs rather than taking elevator. When weather is good, go for swimming, biking, playing tennis, or whatever activities you enjoy doing to burn extra calories. You can walk the treadmill while watching TV or listening to music to make it fun rather than work.
22. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Your body needs energy to be able to function properly and burn calories. If you are trying to stay healthy and lose weight, get enough rest every night.
In order to lose weight you must apply discipline and stick to your plan. Keep eating healthy food and keep exercising to maintain it. Stay committed and never give up. The benefits you gain are worth a long-term commitment. Good luck.
By David Jacobson – 2019
Copyright © 2019 Allied Publishing
For additional articles written by David Jacobson, see alliedpublishing.com/look-younger. David Jacobson is the author of How to Look 10 Years Younger Without Plastic Surgery.