How easily can you self-publish a book online? The Internet has changed the rules of publishing by making it possible to bypass major publishers and providing the opportunity for authors to self-publish a book.
Digital book publishing can be relatively cost-effective to produce and getting it into the hands of customers faster than if you used traditional publishers. All you need is a computer, word processor software like Word, and an Internet connection.
Businesses like Amazon, Smashwords, Lulu, and many others are proving it is profitable for both publishers and authors. In addition, self-published authors have full control over their work editorially and financially.
If you plan to self-publish your book on your own website, you can get 100% of the price of the book and sell your books worldwide. If you decide to share your profits, Amazon Kindle e-books, Lulu publications, and Apple iBook can reach over 100 different countries.
As a self-published author, you can have foreign distribution rights and set the prices to whatever you wish. Your books can never be out of print or stock when they are online and will always be on sale for as long as you want. You can always update and sell the new revised edition to your existing and new customers.
You can print your book using publishing-on-demand (printing one book at a time when someone places an order) or produce only a digital format or both. Then, publicizing your book online for the general public to purchase your book.
In the past, self-publishing was difficult due to cost of small runs of books, advertising and promotion costs. But with the advances in technology, self-publishing can be done in a few simple steps.
Here are some basic steps to self-publish a book online:
- Write your book in Microsoft Word program. Give unique title to each chapter. You can begin writing your book same as writing one article at the time.
- Once your manuscript is complete, be sure to edit it for spelling, grammar, and flow. Choose a standard size such as 6 x 9 or 8 ½ x 11 with 1 inch margins all around and a 12 point font for the text. Once you have decided on the size, format your book document to the correct size.
- Give unique name to each chapter title. Add in chapter headings, page numbers, introduction, conclusion, copyright page, and table of contents. Next, convert the formatted document into a PDF file. Pen names can be used if you decide not to use your own name.
- The title of your book plays an important role for its success. The title must be unique and related to the topic it present. Another important part is the cover. You can design the cover yourself or hire a freelance graphic designer to design the cover of your book. Add the cover file in PDF format to the book before sending it to press.
- Consider purchasing an ISBN from Bowker for your book. The ISBN is a number that identifies your book to the international community and allows retailers and wholesalers to look up your book information. If you plan to sell your book to bookstores or online through websites such as Amazon, you will need the ISBN number and the bar code surrounded by this number on the back cover.
- Add the title, ISBN, description, and publisher of your book.
- Save the entire file and convert it from Word to PDF using Adobe Acrobat.
- If you decide to sell hard copies of your book, research print-on-demand (POD) companies. With print-on-demand, as books are purchased, the company prints them. Many distributors offer an ISBN for free, but the distributor will be listed as the publisher of your book. However, if you purchase your own ISBN, you can list your own company as the publisher. The POD company prints a proof of your book for you to review before it goes to press. If you plan to make any changes at this stage, there are usually fees associated for changes.
- As soon as your book is published, apply for a copyright for protection against theft. You can apply for an official copyright from U.S. copyright office.
- Write and distribute press releases to major publications. At the end of the press release let readers know that your book is available and where to purchase it.
- You can create your own website or blog to promote your books. Social media are also very effective for spreading the news about your books. Search engine optimization is very important if you decide to promote your books on your own website.
You can try online distribution services, but you’ll have to share your profits with them. Some retailers such as Amazon have their own exclusive book production services. Other services enable you to place your book at a number of websites. Lulu.com is one of the major online book publishers that provide the means for writers to sell their books. CreatSpace.com and Instantpublisher.com are two other book publishers that you can try to sell your books.
By Paul Ziglar – 2019 – Update 2020
Copyright © 2019-2020 Allied Publishing
For additional articles written by Paul Ziglar, see alliedpublishing.com/publishing. Paul Ziglar is the author of Ultimate Guide to Successful Self-Publishing.